Friday, September 14, 2007

Paulo Freire



Paulo Freire was a Brazilian educator. His first years paralleled those of the great depression and he became aware of the problems of the world around him, since many of his friends lived in extreme poverty.
He believed that the role of the educator was to enable students to analyse the world around them and to see themselves as able to transform it. Freire was concerned with teaching reading and writing to illiterate adults so that they could have a voice and accept responsabilty for social change.
Freire's ideas were revolutionaire and I really like the fact that he made use of those experiences that are relevant to the student, like everyday situations, making the process of learning more likely to take place. His ideas are a great inspiration for teachers. I think that his ideas can cause revolutionary changes in people's points of view about society and about the world. I believe that he reminds us that education is not objective and that we, as teachers, can give more from ourselves than what is usually expected and make our contribution to a fairer society. Even though I have never seen Freire's ideas applied at school, I would like to put them into action if I ever have the chance.

1 comment:

Joako Ierfino said...

I agree with you. I think Freire was a revolutionary teacher at that time because nobody gave importance to society as he did. I think students should know about their situations within this world because that can affect their learning process.