Monday, September 17, 2007

Maria Montessori

Montessori's method reminds me of my days at kindergarten. As in Montessori's schools, my classroom was arranged according to subjects (cooking, housekeeping, gardening, and a reading corner). Apart from that, we were always free to move around the room isntead of sitting at desks. And there was no limit to how long we could work on something we had chosen.
As a teacher-to-be, I think this is a good method for our educational needs. The Montessori method is philosophically and practically different from other educational methods, and also very different from my personal educational experience, but I'd like to do my best to apply it. I'd like to teach my students how to respect individual differences, and to emphasize education as a way of seing children as they really are. One of the ideas I have in mind when I remember her method is the calm of the environment where children can work with activities of their own choice. Finally, the most important thing about this method is it gives us the opportunity to help children self-construct their minds and personalities.

Contributed by Mariana Fernández

No comments: